Wednesday, July 28, 2010

SanFran Experience

My trip to San Francisco was AMAZING! What a refreshing experience to have! I arrived on Friday, July 16th and realized that this was the 1st time I was traveling all on my own to a place where I new absolutely no one. I was a bit anxious when I first realized this, but I reminded myself of how great an opportunity I had awaiting me.

From my first interaction with my fellow teammates, I knew that I was in for a week with supportive people. During the weekend, I ended up having a lot more free time than I had anticipated. I was able to travel around San Francisco and see many things (Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz from afar, AT&T park, downtown Palo Alto, and Stanford's beautiful campus). I stayed in Roble Hall, where LeadAmerica housed two conferences (Engineering and Leadership University). Throughout the week I was the leader for 15 high school students; an experience that I had never had before. I quickly realized that despite all of the experience I had at JMU, working with a different age group was a whole new playing field. I learned that every experience is a new one and you always have to expect the unexpected.

I had a great time with my students during the week, and learned a lot from them as well as the other leaders, my teammates. My favorite term that we taught was "Unconditional Support." It is pretty self-explanatory but a nice way to remind people to show respect towards others.

No comments:

Post a Comment